While our focus has been mainly on the support available to businesses we wanted to share that there is support out there for workers who have been unable to earn income during the current COVID-19 lockdowns. You may have workers who would be eligible for these payments if you aren’t eligible yourself, or even friends and family that you can pass this information along to.
The COVID-19 Disaster Payment is a lump sum support payment to help workers unable to earn income due to a COVID-19 lockdown, hotspot or period of restricted movement.
To receive this payment, you need to meet the following general eligibility rules:
- you’re an Australian resident or hold a visa that gives you the right to work in Australia
- you’re 17 years or older
- you’re not getting any income support payments
- you’re not getting the Pandemic Leave Disaster Payment, a state or territory pandemic payment or a state small business payment for the same period
- you’ve lost income and don’t have any appropriate paid leave entitlements
You can receive this payment even if you’re eligible on only one day of a recognised COVID-19 period of restricted movement, lockdown or hotspot. Also note, that if you’re a member of a couple, you can both claim this payment but will need to make separate claims.
– Please refer to this link for dates and eligibility criteria for each state.
How Much You Are Eligible For Depends On Your Situation
– First and second period for Sydney events
Amounts are as follows:
If you lost less than 20 hours work per week, you’ll get $325 for each relevant period.
If you lost 20 hours or more of work per week, you’ll get $500 for each relevant period.
– Third period and beyond for other events
You’ll get the following amount for relevant periods starting from:
- 15 July 2021 for people in parts of Sydney
- 18 July 2021 for people in Greater Sydney
- 18 July 2021 for people in all other areas in NSW
- 23 July 2021 for people in Victoria.
- 28 July 2021 for people in South Australia.
You’ll receive $375 for each relevant period if you lost either:
- between 8 and less than 20 hours of work per week
- a full day of your usual work hours per week.
If you lost 20 hours or more of work per week, you’ll get $600 for each relevant period.
NB: The COVID-19 Disaster Payment is a taxable payment which means you’ll need to include it in your income tax return.
To learn more please visit the Services Australia website.