The government has initiated a new system that attaches a unique identifying number to an individual who is a company director. If you are a company director you will need a director identification number by November 2022.
What is a Director Identification Number?
A director has one number permanently attached to them, and this is used for identification purposes for any or all companies they are a director of. The new Australian Business Registry Services (ABRS) will administer the director ID register, which will gradually integrate all government business registers into one easily accessible register with greater security. The director ID numbers will mean better transparency of appointed directors of companies but also increased privacy protections.
What Do You Need To Do?
When you must apply for your director ID depends on the date you become a director.
- Existing directors have until November 2022 to register for a director ID number.
- New directors appointed between 1 November 2021 and 4 April 2022 must apply within 28 days of being appointed as a director.
- New directors appointed from 5 April 2022 must obtain a director ID number before a director appointment.
- Prospective directors can apply for a director ID up to 12 months ahead of the appointment.
The easiest and fastest way to apply is online via ABRS.
- You’ll need a myGovID account to apply for your director ID number online. This creates an authenticated digital identity you can use when accessing government services online.
- Apply through Australian Business Registry Services, (ABRS). You’ll need proof of identity documents which we have listed out below.
- You’ll then need to complete the application process from the ABRS webpage, which will link your myGovID account to the application. If the application is verified successfully, you’ll receive your director ID straight away.
Directors – you will have to complete this process yourself as you must verify your identity as part of the application – nobody else can apply on your behalf.
You can also apply via paper form or telephone.
Applications are now open. We recommend you gather all the information you will need before you attempt to apply to make the process as quick and easy as possible. You will need to have the following available for your application:
- myGovID app set up with at least Standard Identity strength
- Your Tax File Number
- The residential address which is recorded with the ATO
- Any two of the following:
- Bank account details registered with the ATO (the account they pay your refunds into)
- A copy of a recent Notice of Assessment for yourself
- The details from a recent PAYG Payment Summary
- The details from a recent Centrelink Payment Summary
- SRN/HIN from a dividend statement where the shares are owned individually
- The ABN and member number for your Superannuation account
Let us know!
Once you have completed your application, don’t forget to pass on your director ID number to us as we will need to maintain a record of it.
If you need assistance with completing the application or would like to know more about director ID’s, please get in touch.